Publication Type: Book
Source: The Macmillan Co., New York (1896)
; collective behaviour
THE following work is devoted to an account of the characteristics of crowds.
The whole of the common characteristics with which heredity endows the individuals of a race constitute the genius of the race. When, however, a certain number of these individuals are gathered together in a crowd for purposes of action, observation proves that, from the mere fact of their being assembled, there result certain new psychological characteristics, which are added to the racial characteristics and differ from them at times to a very considerable degree.
Organised crowds have always played an important part in the life of peoples, but this part has never been of such moment as at present. The substitution of the unconscious action of crowds for the conscious activity of individuals is one of the principal characteristics of the present age.
I have endeavoured to examine the difficult problem presented by crowds in a purely scientific manner -- that is, by making an effort to proceed with method, and without being influenced by. CONTENTS:
Book 1 BOOK I. THE MIND OF CROWDS.
- Chapter 1.1 CHAPTER I. GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS OF CROWDS. -- PYSCHOLOGICAL LAW OF THEIR MENTAL UNITY.
- Chapter 1.2 CHAPTER II. THE SENTIMENTS AND MORALITY OF CROWDS.
- Chapter 1.3 CHAPTER III. THE IDEAS, REASONING POWER, AND IMAGINATION OF CROWDS.
Book 2 BOOK II. THE OPINIONS AND BELIEFS OF CROWDS.
- Chapter 1.4 CHAPTER IV. A RELIGIOUS SHAPE ASSUMED BY ALL THE CONVICTIONS OF CROWDS.
- Chapter 2.1 CHAPTER I. REMOTE FACTORS OF THE OPINIONS AND BELIEFS OF CROWDS.
- Chapter 2.2 CHAPTER II. THE IMMEDIATE FACTORS OF THE OPINIONS OF CROWDS.
- Chapter 2.3 CHAPTER III. THE LEADERS OF CROWDS AND THEIR MEANS OF PERSUASION.
Book 3 BOOK III. THE CLASSIFICATION AND DESCRIPTION OF THE DIFFERENT KINDS OF CROWDS.
- Chapter 2.4 CHAPTER IV. LIMITATIONS OF THE VARIABILITY OF THE BELIEFS AND OPINIONS OF CROWDS.
- Chapter 3.1 CHAPTER I. THE CLASSIFICATION OF CROWDS.
- Chapter 3.2 CHAPTER II. CROWDS TERMED CRIMINAL CROWDS.
- Chapter 3.3 CHAPTER III. CRIMINAL JURIES.
- Chapter 3.4 CHAPTER IV. ELECTORAL CROWDS.
- Chapter 3.5 CHAPTER V. PARLIAMENTARY ASSEMBLIES.